To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

Code Compliance

What are the laws pertaining to ATVs (Four Wheelers), Off-Road Vehicles and Golf Cars being driven in city limits?

ATVs/Four Wheelers/Off-Road Vehicles and Golf Cars cannot be leisurely driven in town. It is permitted for an operator who is of legal age to operate such a machine to use the streets as a means to travel by the shortest route possible, out of city limits.

Golf Cars, you must be a licensed driver to operate such a vehicle.

Sanitation & Recycling

Can you explain the type of recycling program that the residents of Gwinner voted to implement?

                 (service provided by Waste Management)

No more separating when you recycle!  You simply put all your recyclable materials into the same green can….and Waste Management does the separating for you.

You have been given a 35-gallon cart upon first initial delivery. Recyclables will be picked up monthly – simply roll your cart to the curb on the scheduled day of pickup. WM does request that there be a 3-foot perimeter around your cart at time of pickup. The truck has a hydraulic arm that picks the container up.

Buddy System - If you know of a rural resident that would like to participate in this program, simply have them put their materials in your cart. No extra fees apply….

What do you include in your Recycling Carts?


  • Aluminum cans
  • Tin cans
  • Plastic milk & water jugs
  • Mixed plastic bottles & Containers with neck (laundry, syrup, etc.)
  • Glass bottles & jars:  pickle, jelly jars / juice bottles / any colored glass, bottle or jar
  • Loose newspaper
  • Paperboard – cereal boxes (no liner), cake boxes, chip boxes, jell-o boxes, etc.
  • Cardboard
  • Magazines
  • Office paper and junk mail (corrugated boxes, brown grocery bags, glossy paper, stationary & envelopes, binder paper, notebook paper (any color), adhesive backed or sticky paper. 

What do you Not include in your Recycling Cart?


  • Garbage, food waste, diapers, paper plates
  • Meat or dairy plastic or paper packaging
  • Wax or plastic wrap or bags
  • Freezer food packaging
  • Plastic deli, product or take-out packaging or utensils
  • Plastic bags or wrapping film
  • Formed or pellet Styrofoam packaging
  • Window glass, ceramics or dishware, mirrors or lightbulbs

Flatten cardboard and paperboard boxes. Cardboard sections must be no larger than 2’ by 2’ to fit into the green and gold cart. We appreciate your help.

Can I get Additional Carts for Recycling?

Yes!  Call the City Office at 701-678-2409 to request an additional cart.   

Does it matter how my cart is placed at the curbside?

Yes... the truck has a hydraulic arm that reaches out, grabs the cart, and tips it into the truck.  It sets it back down in it's spot, and the truck moves on to the next cart. PLEASE MAKE SURE THE WHEELS OF THE CART ARE TOWARDS THE CURB.  THE OPENING OF THE CART SHOULD BE TOWARDS THE STREET.  Also, make sure the cart has 3 feet of clearance on both sides for the "claw" to grab it. Don't set it by your mailbox, next to another cart, nestled in a bush or snowbank. It's fine to set it out onto the street to give the clearance needed. Again, if you have more than one cart, space them at least 3 feet apart.

Business Licenses & Permits

What are the steps to be taken if I want to build on or improve my property?

Building permits are required on any construction or improvement projects, over the amount of $499.00, indoor or outdoor. Building permits may be obtained from the city office. The fee for Building Permit is $1.00 for every $1,000.00. They are reviewed at the monthly City Council meeting. 

City Office  701-678-2409

Tuesday-Thursday 8:00AM-3:00PM