Sanitation & Recycling
The City of Gwinner contracts with an outside waste management company for solid waste collection and recycling. Everyone within the community is required to have garbage collection and all residential customers are required to have recycling collection.
Most trash and debris, when properly bundled and/or contained properly, can be disposed of at curbside with your regular garbage service days. If assistance is needed or you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
For questions specific to trash or recycling pick up, please call the waste management company directly.
All residents and smaller commercial will be picked up on EVERY TUESDAY, unless there is a Holiday that week and then it is one day later. If there are any issues please call #701-277-0714 or #1-800-960-0008
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you explain the type of recycling program that the residents of Gwinner voted to implement?
SINGLE – SORT RESIDENTIAL RECYCLING
(service provided by Waste Management)
No more separating when you recycle! You simply put all your recyclable materials into the same green can….and Waste Management does the separating for you.
You have been given a 35-gallon cart upon first initial delivery. Recyclables will be picked up monthly – simply roll your cart to the curb on the scheduled day of pickup. WM does request that there be a 3-foot perimeter around your cart at time of pickup. The truck has a hydraulic arm that picks the container up.
Buddy System - If you know of a rural resident that would like to participate in this program, simply have them put their materials in your cart. No extra fees apply….
What do you include in your Recycling Carts?
WHAT TO INCLUDE:
- Aluminum cans
- Tin cans
- Plastic milk & water jugs
- Mixed plastic bottles & Containers with neck (laundry, syrup, etc.)
- Glass bottles & jars: pickle, jelly jars / juice bottles / any colored glass, bottle or jar
- Loose newspaper
- Paperboard – cereal boxes (no liner), cake boxes, chip boxes, jell-o boxes, etc.
- Office paper and junk mail (corrugated boxes, brown grocery bags, glossy paper, stationary & envelopes, binder paper, notebook paper (any color), adhesive backed or sticky paper.
What do you Not include in your Recycling Cart?
WHAT NOT TO INCLUDE:
- Garbage, food waste, diapers, paper plates
- Meat or dairy plastic or paper packaging
- Wax or plastic wrap or bags
- Freezer food packaging
- Plastic deli, product or take-out packaging or utensils
- Plastic bags or wrapping film
- Formed or pellet Styrofoam packaging
- Window glass, ceramics or dishware, mirrors or lightbulbs
PLEASE DO YOUR PART!
Flatten cardboard and paperboard boxes. Cardboard sections must be no larger than 2’ by 2’ to fit into the green and gold cart. We appreciate your help.
Can I get Additional Carts for Recycling?
Yes! Call the City Office at 701-678-2409 to request an additional cart.
Does it matter how my cart is placed at the curbside?
Yes... the truck has a hydraulic arm that reaches out, grabs the cart, and tips it into the truck. It sets it back down in it's spot, and the truck moves on to the next cart. PLEASE MAKE SURE THE WHEELS OF THE CART ARE TOWARDS THE CURB. THE OPENING OF THE CART SHOULD BE TOWARDS THE STREET. Also, make sure the cart has 3 feet of clearance on both sides for the "claw" to grab it. Don't set it by your mailbox, next to another cart, nestled in a bush or snowbank. It's fine to set it out onto the street to give the clearance needed. Again, if you have more than one cart, space them at least 3 feet apart.